Thursday, July 3, 2014

Adventures with Craigslist

One of my favorite parts about Craigslist is the, erm, creative approach some people have to spelling and grammar:


Example search: pedestal sink <$100

"Was used a lot and not cleaned very ofter"

"peddle stool sink with all the fixtures" (Sadly, this was not from a dental office.)



Some people have interesting contact information:

"Call Me Terry" (That's the alias he's going by these days.)


Other people are offering VERY strange stuff for free, such as a used dog bowl:

"There are some water stains and chew marks on the outside and inside of the bowl. It still holds food and water without any issues. Perfect for larger dogs!"


Honestly, I don't see why people buy anything new if they can help it.


The problem with random Craigslist searches is that occasionally, I find things I want. Like, say, a vintage clawfoot tub for only $100. (I mean, we're planning on redoing the bathrooms at some point, right? And luck only favors the prepared if you're willing to prepare.) Luckily for my wallet - and unluckily for the poor, homeless things on Craigslist - my better half has better judgement than I do. (Hence, he's the better half.)


Thus, the following conversation has been repeated several times over the last couple of weeks (most recently regarding a forest-green clawfoot tub that had clearly been sitting in someone's back yard for several years).

Me: CHECK OUT THIS THING I FOUND. IT'S SUPER CHEAP AND AWESOME. WE SHOULD GET IT. IT WILL MAKE OUR LIVES INFINITELY BETTER TO HAVE THIS THING.

Jesse: It's, um...rustic.

Me: IT'S FANTASTIC.

Jesse: Maybe we should think about this a bit.

Me: Oh, I'm thinking.




And so it goes. But sometimes, there are rare moments of success! Like today:





A fancy guest room bed for $40! I'm so tickled. I'd really almost rather steal it for use in our own bedroom, but tragically, I think the spindles are too tall for the slanted ceiling. In the meantime, don't pack your bags planning on a visit just yet, because we don't have a box spring or slats for the mattress. Hark, do I hear the dulcet tones of an IKEA trip in my near future?

No comments:

Post a Comment