Saturday, June 14, 2014

Grouting Day!

What is today? GROUTING DAY! 
What do we do on Grouting Day? WE GROUT! 
What do we grout? THE KITCHEN FLOOR!

Also, we sleep in a bit, but only because it's Saturday Grouting Day and such an exciting day deserves a wee bit of celebration. Sleep is the ultimate celebration around here.

No more chatter! On to pictures!


When we finished laying the tile on Wednesday, it was about ten o'clock at night, and in the last few sheets, it's definitely obvious. Okay, obvious to me. Jesse ensures me that it's barely noticeable at all. (Which I don't believe, since this morning he said my socks matched my shirt, when one was green and the other was gray. He may have been mocking me, though.) 

ANYWAY. We had to chip a bunch of mortar out from between the last few sheets, because sleep deprivation made us sloppy. And then we got to smear the goop around. 



Laying the tile took us about six hours, between cutting and chipping and, you know, going to work, eating and sleeping. Grouting the tile? Less than two. We originally thought the tiny tile would be a complete pain in the ass to deal with, but instead it's been surprisingly forgiving. A lot of work, but none of it difficult.


LOOK AT THIS! I'm totally in love with it. We used "pewter" grout, and I was afraid it was going to end up being more of a brown-gray, but it's a lovely dark silver color that balances the black and white tile perfectly. 



None of these pictures really do it justice. It looks AMAZING. The wood floor contractors start work on Monday, and I can't WAIT to see how great this little house looks when they're done.


 



2 comments:

  1. not to be oblivious, but what is obvious?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, obvious that perhaps we shouldn't have been laying tile when we were 90% asleep and didn't care at all. There are a few wonky lines...it doesn't line up QUITE as nicely as my obsessive tendencies would prefer.

    ReplyDelete